Christmas Pop Up Card Tutorial

Hi!

Only 10 days until Christmas! We are counting down the days and wrapping up the last of our handmade holiday cards. The Christmas Pop Up Card Making Kit is still inspiring us every day, so we wanted to share a beautiful gold card project that is gilded in gold foil and boughs of holly. Let’s get started!

finishedcard

We pulled out a matching gold damask card base and pop up insert, two gold borders, a gold foil tree, gold flourishes, holly sprigs and sentiments for the front and inside of the card. The only other supplies you’ll need outside of the kit are double sided adhesive and a craft knife.

supplies

First, we attached the pop up insert to the card base- this video will give you a closer look at the easiest way to adhere these together if you are new to pop ups. Then add the borders to the top and bottom of the insert.

borders

What’s fun about this card is we used techniques on the foil flourishes that you may not have tried before. You’ll attach one flourish to the top of the card as shown. For the second flourish, trim off the two “tails” on the right side with a craft knife, add a tiny bit of adhesive to the front right of the flourish and adhere it just behind the right pop up structure. This gives you a lot of added dimension and the card will still open and close effortlessly!

flourishcut

flourish2

Then we scored and folded a third flourish to make it look like it’s melting off of the card. Some of you may have seen this technique in our pop up cards before, but if you haven’t then you absolutely have to try it. It really takes them to the next level.

flourish3

Now adhere the gold Christmas tree to the top of the center structure and the sentiment to the structure on the left.

allgold

That is so pretty as it is, but we are going to go a couple steps further. Next we took a small holly sprig and trimmed it in half with a craft knife. Don’t ever be afraid to cut your embellishments to make them go further on cards!  We tucked these behind the top flourish and the circle “And a Happy New Year” sentiment.

smallholly

holly1

Now take the remaining large holly sprigs and trim them, too. You can cut out any part of the image you choose.. there are no mistakes in crafting! Use these as the finishing touches on your card.

largehollycut

finishedcard

So gorgeous! We opted to keep this card simple on the front so the inside is a surprise, but you could also add a couple of gold flourishes or holly embellishments.

front1front2

Now that is beautiful in the making!

We also wanted to send a special thank you for all the magnificent mail we’ve received the past couple of weeks! Wow!

fancard1 fancard2 fancard3 fancard4 fancard5 fancard6 fancard7

Bye for now!

1. Mary White says:

Love, love all the wonderful tutorials! I was so upset that my Chritmas pop-up cards were defective and I had to send them back. I actually cried as I was so looking forward to sending them out to family and friends. I am wishing you love and happiness during this Christmas season and for an amazing 2016. Hugs to you! ❤️

2. Andrea says:

I love looking at all the samples and especially enjoyed the tutorial!1 I love all my Anna products and really appreciate you and your staff! Best wishes for a very Merry Christmas and Happy and Healthy New Year!!

3. Linda Valoy says:

Today was the last day for me to make cards to be mailed. I had to make 2 or 3 of each design of the pop-up cards because I would make one and think this one is to pretty, I’M KEEPING it for myself. LOL. It was hard for me to give them up. Thought I was finished making Christmas cards until I got the m&m folders the other day. Made 2 cards today. Anna I would like to mention if you make any more M&M folders I would like a Happy Anniversary sentiment. You covered all Holidays and Occasions but Anniversary. MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

4. Hobo says:

Love the tutorials and ideas. Thank you. And now I have a bit of a complaint. Today I received the mix and match folders. The folders are great but I do not like and probably won’t use most of the inserts. I am not a religious person and praying for you and faith related just don’t do it for me. If I made someone a card that said praying for you people would wonder what happened to me! I understand a lot of people like that kind of thing but I certainly do not. I am tempted to return them because of that but I like the folders.

5. Mewsmomtoo says:

Great tutorial, thank you! Loved all the cards you posted, it’s so inspirational, but I especially loved the Georgie cards.How nice that people include him.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you & your crew. You add so much beauty to the world – thank you!

6. Christina Grata says:

Made cards for the girls at work and they loved them. They are leaving them on their desks open so everyone can see the inside. Just wanted to mention that I folded my tissue paper I was putting in my gift bag and put it in one of the Christmas embossing folders and instead of plain tissue paper to fill my gift bag I had lovely embossed paper.

7. Penny C says:

Thanks for the tutorial. I hope you all have a blessed Christmas. Can’t wait to
    see all your new things in 2016. Anna, any chance you can re-release the Jolie kit? I am in love with it!

8. Mary K. Parker says:

I’d like to know where to send cards. I normally make detailed cards from scratch. This year, I have a shoulder injury that prevented my normal colored pencil work. I bought a few tag kits, a card kit, some bows, and used papers I had on hand, mixing and matching to create some neat cards. I haven’t even got to the popup cards or angels yet!

I’d also LOVE to have a stamp, cardstock pack, or both of the red sheet music on white cardstock that was in one of the card packs I purchased. Even when I was showing my friends, they picked it out as unique and beautiful. Both the design and color just are perfect for holidays.

9. Roxann Higgins says:

Really have had the most fun this year making cards. I especially enjoyed the extra die cuts I purchased as always they add so much to my Christmas cards. Helped me to be a little more creative and experiment more with as you say, “more is more”. Thank you to all at Anna Griffin for helping me feel artistic. All the best in the New Year.

10. Bonnie W. says:

Dear Anna and all your wonderful staff, Hope you have wonderful holidays and a New year filled with good health and joy. Best Wishes, Bonnie W.

11. Lin M. says:

Thank you for sharing the tutorial and some of the creative cards you received!
    Have a Wonderful Christmas Holiday & Happy New Year!

12. TeranceH in Texas says:

Hi Anna & Crew
    Love the pop up card creation, i love the tone on tone ideas, so elegant. I almost passed out this afternoon when i looked at your blog, when i saw my Santa card on your website i got so excited i had to walk away from my desk to celebrate, then i came back to show all my coworkers (who want get theirs until Friday at our Christmas party), I am SO SO glad you liked it enough to post it you have made my holiday and my 2015 end with a bang. Hope you all had a good holiday and we are so excited to see what you have for us to created in 2016.

Happy Happy Holidays Miss Anna & Team!

Thank you very much for the tutorial, fantastic card for sure!
    The cards you have received are so beautiful and fun! Hope all is well and festive with you.

14. Barbara L says:

So one big WOW!!! Thank you for showing us these beautiful tips!!!! my cards will never look the same! Happy Holidays to everyone at Anna Griffin… May this Christmas season be Merry and Bright filled with Love, Joy, Peace and Happiness!