How to: Faux Gatefold Christmas Card with Decorative Edge Dies

Hi everyone,

Can you believe that there are only 24 days left until Christmas? So many of you have already finished making your cards, but for those of you like me, here is a little inspiration to get your card making started this weekend!

Today, we are going to show you how you can use your Holiday Decorative Edge Dies to create a faux gate fold card just by layering!

Holiday Decorative Edge Dies

Finished Size: 5×7 card

Materials:

• Anna Griffin® Gold/Ivory Cricut® Cuttlebug™ Version 3, 510-398
  • Anna Griffin® Tool ‘n One, 457-852
  • Anna Griffin® Holiday Decorative Edge Cut/Emboss Dies (snowflake die and snowflake border die) 574-340
  • Anna Griffin® Perfect Bow Assortment (gold bow) 430-694
  • Ivory 5”x 7” card base
  • Dark green patterned card stock, cut to 5”x 7”
  • Light green patterned card stock, cut to 5”x 7”
  • Ivory card stock, cut to 5”x 7”
  • Snowflake embellishment
  • Sentiment sticker
  • Adhesive (tape runner)
  • Foam square adhesive

Instructions:

1. Using the Cricut® Cuttlebug™, die cut the light green card stock using the snowflake die. Align the straight edge of the die with the 7” straight edge of the card stock. Repeat on the other side of the card stock.

2. Die cut the ivory card stock using the snowflake border die and the Cricut® Cuttlebug™.

Assembly:

1. Adhere the dark green patterned card stock to the ivory card base using a tape runner.

2. Attach the light green snowflake decorative edge to the ivory decorative edge border by using the tape runner along the straight edge of the die cuts.

3. Using foam squares, attach the decorative edges and borders to the card base. Align the straight edges of the die cuts along the left and right sides of the card base.

4. Adhere the snowflake embellishment diagonally across the center of the card with foam squares.

5. Peel off the backing of the sentiment sticker and attach in the center of the card, over the snowflake.

6. Attach the gold bow to the bottom right corner of the embellishment using foam adhesive.

This card would be gorgeous in many different colors and sentiments! It’s almost time to get those holiday cards in the mail! See you on Monday for our first preview of what is in store for you January 10th, 2018 on HSN.

Bye for now,

1. Sue Farren says:

So excited for Jan 10th!!! Ribbons, Eleanor, Decoupage and Delicate Engravings – YAY!!!
    #annaversary and #celebr8annagriffin

2. Ramona La Point says:

I love the tutorials that you are adding to your previews! I am hoping that we get out available to us to make the two cards that you showed at the end of your video. The one where the techniques were shown in your class with the fans that fold down with all of the lovely layers. Just beautiful! And, the last card that was sent to you is amazing!!!!

Hugs and Love from Texas,

Ramona

3. Linda Foster says:

Nice to know I did this right. Been doing for several month now looks good. Enjpy the edge die. And also pocket dies.

4. joy sampson says:

Hi Anna! Working on my cards this week a little each nite after work and finishing this upcoming weekend. I have Hannukah AND Xmas cards to make and the snowflake die will be perfect for both. Wasn’t sure where to start so I will do this idea to get going. As always thank you for inspiring us. Love….joy

5. Nana D says:

Thank you Anna! It is a wonderful card!. Needed the inspiration, have things in front of me and just blanked out. So many beautiful things…so hard to choose. Have a wonderful weekend!

6. Beatrice says:

Love the beautiful cards!!
    Thanks to your staff & yourself for sharing tips in making different card designs.

7. Beverly says:

What a lovely card! I am in the middle of making all my cards for Christmas and this latest card is truly an inspiration. You can change the colors and sentiments and use it for many occasions. Thank you for all your ideas and tips to make being creative easier!!!

8. Charlene Helgoth says:

Lovely ideas! I have most of my Christmas cards finished, have a few left for special friends and family. So inspired with many creative ideas! Thank you for sharing your creativity, Anna!

9. Beth Gutzwiller says:

Absolutely love the way you give us these instructions. The step by step makes it so easy, then we have the immensely way-cool way of repeating our cards with new and fun papers over and over. What a wonderful way to craft. Pretty, pretty, pretty!!!

What a gorgeous card! And that diecut sentiment sticker background! (swoon!) Anna I would SO love to have that as a die in a set of “Sentiment Stamps and Dies 2! Thank you for sharing this so-beautiful card! I was seeing ideas running through my head as I read- Ready to craft today! FINALLY!
    Hugs to you and your Team. You bring me such happiness! Cant WAIT for Monday!

11. Amy Crane says:

Anna, thanks for the great idea! Haven’t started making cards…(trying to finish an afghan!!) What a wonderful rich and full look this makes. Your ideas always help us look elegant and timeless.

Best wishes, Amy

12. Sandy Christman says:

A beautiful card. I’ve made several cards with these two dies but none like this. Thanks for showing us a new way to use the dies.

13. Angel Cyr says:

Believe it ~~~ or not ? … ” I’m, still making Christmas Cards, to sell ” … then, onto making my Christmas Cards, to give ! Ha ! Ha !! Ha !!! Good Luck ~~~ to all of you, who will still be creating, at the last moment ! Perhaps, you’re like me ~~~ and work ” GREAT,” under pressure !!! You Just Find You Pray A Lot More !!! … It’s Great !!! …

14. Melissa Eichenauer says:

Love the idea… but for some reason I’m not understanding how the ivory die cut is larger than the green one. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

15. Beverly Jordan says:

I love that you have the dies for us to play with what materials we get to cut!! Great to show this in pattern papers! Everything looks like new fun things that we all have to have! Thank you for creating such great products that make us look so good when we send these to our friends and families!!

16. Julianne says:

The gatefold can be frustrating, so I really like this way, where you’re not really folding! Looks great!

17. Kaye Lystad Kirk says:

I’m have so many other things to do that I keep putting off my Christmas card making. I just need to make my Christmas cards Priority #1. (Well, after I make a graduation and a retirement card.)
    I’ll just have to make them all at the same time. These blogs and seeing everyone’s beautiful Christmas card photos on Facebook are really making me feel like I’d better get started and fast!

18. Donna Marie DeGraw says:

Thank you for the beautiful card. Do you have a video to show how you make a gate fold card. My oldest granddaughter wants to know. She said she wants to make some. Thanks again.

19. Gale says:

Thank you for always sharing with us ideas with things that we have bought in the past. This is such a beautiful card. Thank you.

20. Deidra says:

I craft a variety of Christmas cards. Today’s post send me down the path to use the beautiful decorative borders. Thanks your for the creative inspiration. I hope that you also enjoy crafting this weekend!

21. Doreen says:

I haven’t started my card making and I love this idea. My weekend plans have been confirmed. Thank you for another beautiful idea. Enjoy your weekend.

22. Anne with an "e" says:

Good morning!
    Thank you for another great tutorial – I really need to get going on my Christmas cards! (Haven’t been able to decide which of your products I want to use – this may have pushed the edge dies out in front!) I especially like how you used patterned paper with the dies; I’ve noticed that before, but haven’t tried it myself yet. Happy crafting, all!
    Regards, Anne

23. Madelyn Horn says:

Thank you Anna for all the beautiful product you give to us to make wonderful things.
    It was your card kit that made me get into making cards n I love it. I have twin sisters and every time they need a card they come to me for it.
    Looking forward to see what u are going to show us in Jan on HSN.

24. Crystal Miller says:

Love this card will be making it soon. I haven’t had a chance since returning from Create to tell you, Anna and your staff, just how wonderful it really was. It was one of the best weekends of my life. I came home so happy and still excited my husband and kids will gladly want me to go next year after seeing how much I enjoyed it. Words just cannot express how awesome it was. Thanks again for giving us all such a memorable weekend.

25. Jacqueline says:

I can’t get my hands on enough of Anna Griffin products. Everything is so beautiful. I’m probably more of a collector than a crafter at this point! I would like to know if there will be an Anna Griffin Cricut Maker tote/bag storage system (much like the tweed set) in the near future. I think I may have read it is in the making. I will wait patiently if the answer is yes, otherwise I will buy the tweed set. I am also waiting patiently for the Cricut knife blade. Happy crafting!

26. Jodie says:

Very pretty. I love the snowflake pattern repeat in the edges and in the papers used Can’t believe it’s December…yikes!…time to crank up the Cricut and Cuttlebug. Enjoy the season!